Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Work/Life Balance


I promise to contribute - I really do. I love this concept, and thank Chris for putting it together. My biggest problem is that at some point over the past 3 years my life changed from having a bullshit job that demanded nothing from me to having a crazy job that I can never get on top of. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll take the craziness - I always thrive in that type of environment, but I'm making the same amount of money! That just doesn't make sense. The point of this little rambling is that I always seem to run out of time to post, or email, or anything really...

Made me think a bit...I understand that my mission in life is to help shitty little spa owners get a decent piece of software and appease a maniacal CEO that eats babies and puppies for breakfast - I get that, but damn I need a hobby. I'm not looking to make my life more 'fulfilling' or some bullshit like that. I mean, I'm plenty fulfilled. I'm just now on a personal quest for a better hobby.

I tried poker. Now this is insanely difficult for me to admit, but it's the truth - I'm just not that good. I tried bike riding, and I bought a heavy mountain bike because I was drunk on a Sunday with Jav and he convinced me somehow that we would, like Don Quixote and Sancho Panza, conquer the rugged mountains of Brooklyn together. Problem is I live in a 3rd floor walk-up and I've successfully carried that bike up and down the steps 3 times in 3 years. Yup, once a year. I tried running, as we all know. I liked running, but come on - it's running. Very few things, not even biking, compare with the boredom associated with running.

So I'm on a quest to find a new hobby. I'd prefer if it's something that doesn't piss off Gill, so recreational drug use and philandering are out. I'm not an extreme sportsman because I value my limbs. I don't need to drink more, so it's not wine or beer or some other group I join that gives me a ridiculous excuse to consume absurd amounts of alcohol.

Spelunking? Geo-treasure hunting? Basket weaving? Yoga?

I have no idea, but I'm wide open to suggestion (comments!!) and promise, through this wonderful new medium of ours, to keep you all updated on my quest.

11 comments:

Chris Chandre said...

Don't knock Yoga. I do it twice a week. Imagine James Gandolfini in a unitard, grunting.

Seriously though, I do yoga to release stress. Our stress is completely different, but stress is stress.

John Chandre said...

Over the last several days it has become obvious that we Chandre's have the gift of gab!! It also shows in our ramblings. Humor, intelligence, and feeling.
Why don't you buy a small voice recorder and start recording your experiences on the way to work in NYC. Sights and sounds of the city, become a reporter of your life. Then compose a humorous collection of experiences into a book, (Carolyn can give you pointers)on "A Badger in NYC"
Write alot, edit alot, outline the sequence, come to a conclusion, and have fun. If you have to experience a part of the city thats new, it can be a quest for both Gill and you.

Chris Chandre said...

Adult film star?

Carolyn Miller said...

Are you looking for something physical or mental? Seriously, here.

Linda said...

You were pretty good at painting as I remember. How about oil, or watercolor. Take a course. I don't suppose you'd consider knitting...hee hee. I love it & it's very relaxing & creative. Uncle Tom & I also do stained glass work & it is great fun & also very creative. Really,though your dads idea of writing is probably the most practical. Find something you can't wait to do every day.

Chris Chandre said...

Dan, is it a hobby you are looking for or a higher purpose? I don't want to get too "out there" about it, but I struggle with being super passionate about anything. We all read a lot. We read about great people who do great things. We probably all think we are capable of this, and we are. Where I struggle is in finding the item that we excel in, that is consistently interesting, and drives you to actually do your best. I have dabbled in things and then taken them to extremes to see if they "stick" ex. World Series of Poker in 2007.

I have thrown myself into parenting full time, but I have the itch. The same itch I believe you are talking about. The itch to be great, the itch to passionately attack something and be successful. I think this itch is highest during our time in life. We are in our 30's. We know who we are, and have control of it. We have had a heavy dose of reality, and know we can do more.

I don't have an answer, outside of keep searching. Perhaps the answer lies in that: The search.

Carolyn Miller said...

Wow. That is heavy. I have had that "itch" for awhile, being older and all, but it is very real. Are there things I wish I had done in my 20s? Should I be somewhere else? Doing something else? Being 13 years into serious work life is the pits. Too far in to pitch it, and too far away from retirement to even believe it is real.

I find fulfillment in writing, but am frustrated when my real life gets in the way. I too feel the pull to do more, just not sure which direction to head in.

Cheddar said...

I feel no need for something higher. No greater purpose. No search for something real. I'm serious - I'm extremely busy and very content, so I think it's strictly enjoyment and stress release. I think Aunt Linda and Dad were on the right path.

Karen Chandre said...

Daniel - I think I concur with Dad about the possibility of writing. All 3 of you have incredible talent and creativity with writing - you have all shown it again and again. But - ask Carolyn - it takes a great deal of dedication to write. Give it some thought.
Also - you are developing into a very good chef - a hobby that is very satisfying but again time consuming.

Carolyn Miller said...

Dan, your cooking is phenomenal. You talked about a knife skills course; maybe you could combine writing and cooking?

John Chandre said...

Be careful of the itch. I've had one since my 30's.....Dr. appointment on Friday.