Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why Go To Europe?


My world is a little off kilter this morning, and not because I slept wrong. My dad is going to North Dakota, population 650,000, which probably includes wild animals. The population of Milwaukee, just for reference, is 950,000.

Why is this a big deal? Does Carolyn just need more coffee?

Since I was young enough to sit up straight, Dad put a map in my hands. An atlas enjoyed a revered spot on our coffee table, and when we were watching TV and a city came up that drew curiosity, the atlas came out. Guess what? I have one on my coffee table too. On every family vacation (even the one I was a pain in the ass on), the maps were a big part of the trip.

Back to North Dakota. How often did we hear, "Why go to Europe? I haven't been to North Dakota." Dad's quest to "leave a little of himself" in each of the 48 continental states is almost complete. Actually, there are two quests going on, one for Dad and for Mom AND Dad. If I am not mistaken, Dad's stay in North Dakota trims the final state count to 4 or 5 (I think) for him. The fact that I think I know that is scary, but cool.

The events of September 11th thwarted the last opportunity to go to North Dakota. Chris and I were headed to NY that weekend to visit Dan, and Mom and Dad to North Dakota to "cross it off the list." Instead, the four of us went to Asheville and worried about Dan and mourned with the rest of the country.

For 37 years, North Dakota was the elusive state. I even tried to plan trips to North Dakota. At least I could say ONE of us made it there in our lifetime.

So now it is, "Why go to Europe? I haven't been to Kansas." For as much as you have traveled Dad, how could you have missed Kansas (population 2.8 million, by the way)? It is right in the middle.

Keep in mind when planning your trip to Topeka that in Kansas, they actually have a state law that states that "rabbits may not be shot from motorboats." Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Chris Chandre said...

So Carolyn, you went with the dead cop pic?

Carolyn Miller said...

Yep. More recognizable I guess. When I think of Fargo (the movie), I think of the dialogue, so I had a hard time finding a pic.

Chris Chandre said...

Mapquest, Tom Tom, Garmin, Google Maps and mobile blackberry maps. I'll give em all up for the Atlas. Why is that? Part of it is the influence of our youth. I share the exact same feelings as you Carolyn. Part of it is escapism. You can look at that map and put yourself in any country, and thus a different world. Part is also reverance for time gone by. As much as I love technology, simpler times meant simpler joy.

I still see myself on a plane with a hat over my eyes as I fly. Somewhere a little red line is being drawn to show my progress to Marikesh. I'll try not to eat the dates. Yep, an Indiana Jones reference.

Why, o why, did you make Indy 4? Survived a direct nuclear blast because you hid in a refrigerator? Harrison pulled a Favre, or was it the other way around?