Monday, February 1, 2010

In response to "LP's our parents subjected us to"


You must remember Mom and I are Son and Daughter of Depression Era
parents that lived through WW II. While hoping for a better future and surviving long
separations from loved ones, they listened to the radio and music, they didn't
have one iPod, PS2, Wii, or even a TV to help them escape and cope with reality.
This time in our nations history gave us some pretty meaningful songs. It was the
music of that time that our parents played, and we played to you, but we also
expanded the library with additional "Songs to Dream By".


The clue is in the Song name, and Lyrics.
With music you can dream of far away places, "Rocky Mountain High",
"Shanghai Breezes", "Bali Hai".
You could travel anywhere, "Leaving on a Jet plane", "Take me home country
Roads", or just march with "Seventy Six Trombones". You could go to "Oklahoma",
or see "The Heather on the Hills". Wander "Ole Man River", or
"Climb every Mountain". You could say "Hello Dolly", or visit "Camelot".
You could simply stay on your street and be "Signin in the Rain", or be smiling
because "Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy".

Now a word about Lyrics…..or is that redundant????

When you hear Jim Croce sing "If I could save time in a Bottle", or "I'll have to say
I love you in a song" or maybe the Mills Bros. asking you to wait "Till Then" because
"Never the less I'm in Love with You". You can feel the depth of meaning that went
into the writing of those songs. Even Air Supply, singing "Making Love out of
nothing at All" or "Lost in Love", ( which was easy for those sweethearts), told
a smooth story. Lyrics are poems set to music!!!!!

To say over the years I've seen a decline in the quality of Lyrics, would be an
understatement.

So to close my ramblings, I'm a happy parent that knows my children "Have a
Song in their Heart"

And let's face it….how can you compare:

The shadows fall and
Spread their mystic charms
In the hush of night
While you're in my arms
I feel your lips
So warm and tender
My one and only Love


With:

Yo Bitch, you're so fine
I want you in my bed
You know it's time


I CAN'T

I close this post sitting in my Favorite Room with
"My hat turned sideways", and my
"Pants on the Ground".

1 comment:

Chris Chandre said...

I know there is never a time that us, kids, hear a song that fits into the "LPs our folk..." and we don't grin from ear to ear. Anyone else remember running around the house singing "For the longest time, whoa, whoa, whoa."? Espcially the low bass part.

I'm as happy as a whore in a pickle factory every time I hear the anti-Sullenberger sing Leaving on a Jet plane. The best part of that, is it's absolutely true.

So, long live Jim Croce, John Denver, Karen Carpenter and Michael Jackson. Ok, bad examples. Too soon?