Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oops, I crapped my pants (in the NFC Championship game)


Favre

I know I will come back to admiration for Brent. It will take time though. I am still his jilted lover. He divorced me after 17 years of devotion and slept around a bit (Jets) before hopping into bed with my biggest enemy. I then spent the next year watching them have sex every Sunday, and they were enjoying it.

Watching him crap the bed on the main stage put his influence and accomplishments into perspective. As fans, we tend to be defensive backs, we only remember the good plays. Favre failed a lot. He failed in big moments, a lot. Embarassing my parents as his 6th INT was returned by the Rams had faded. Paying $400 for a NFC Championship ticket, suffering through the 2nd coldest game on record, and watching as Favre threw away an incredibly great season had even faded. Is this what other fans had seen in Favre all along? Were we so grateful for our Super Bowl, that we blindly watched him screw up often.

I'm sure the answer lies in the middle. He was good, even great, but he is no Manning, Montana, Elway or Brady. He provided some of the great memories of my life, but now those are fading.

The future is Aaron Rodgers. He is good, maybe great. I have no doubt that we will be in the Super Bowl in the next 5 years, and I like our chance if we are. Favre is a fading memory.

No comments: