Monday, February 8, 2010

A truly Super bowl



I didn't have a horse in the race. I was just hoping for a great game. It was a slow start but a great finish. I liked both teams equally coming in. I was cheering for whomever had the ball until one play. When former UW Badger Jonathon Casillas came away from a rugby scrum with the ball. Then I had something to cheer about. Once a Badger, always a Badger. I then watched two Big Ten players (Brees and Porter) decide the outcome. A couple observations.

1. I don't think anyone lost the game. I think the Saints won the game.
2. Great play calling. Payton out coached Caldwell. Better adjustments through out the game. Onside kick is gutsy (remember McCarthy did it to bring the Pack back in the first playoff game).
3. Tear jerking moment with Brees and his son. Real emotion at the height of his career. As an aside, Drew Brees is incredible for taking that city on his back. In a sports world full of Tiger Woods, Warren Sapp, Plaxico Burress and Terrell Owen, his story is one that should be highlighted.
4. Peyton Manning is great. I know he lost, but he is great. I have disliked him for his entire career. This is the first year I tried to get on top of it. I sat in a room last night with a couple Packer fans, and a smattering of other fans. No one liked Peyton Manning. He is that kid on the school yard when you were 12 years old that always beat you. He looks like he is whining half the time, he looks like he never takes blame. I need to concede I thought this as well. I came around this year to the pure brilliance of his QB play. I found myself hurting for him after that pick. He plays a perfect season (not game, but season) and will be remembered for that pick.
5. Commercials were sub par. They were formulaic. We have come to expect laugh out loud moments, and there were only a few.
6. Indy will be back in the game next year.
7. They will be playing the Packers, and we will win.

Anyone have other observations? Would love to hear an Indy view. It's hard to hate the Saints, but also know fandom, so I'm sure you could find something to root against.

3 comments:

Cheddar said...

It was a good football game, I'll agree with that. I can't help, though, but surprised by how conservative Indy was with their play-calling. Down near the goal line, why not spread it out and let Peyton pick through some nickel and dimes? I don't understand that. 32nd best rushing team in football decides, in the Super Bowl, to rely on their running game? I'm just surprised by that, and that's all Peyton. He's got the authority to audible to whatever he wants in those situations.

I was surprised by the onside kick. Everyone's giving Payton a lot of credit for that, but that's only because it worked. If it didn't work, he be getting killed for that decision. Still, you gotta love the cohones to make that call.

Very happy for the Saints. This was one of the worst franchises in football for a very long time, and no team/city needed it more. Wish I was on Bourbon Street last night - looked like one hell of a party.

Linda said...

You all know I don't know squat about football. But I am a Packer fan by default (and marriage) but root for the Colts secondly, since I have been a Hoosier for 22 years. I had hoped they would win. I'm sure Uncle Tom would have many comments to make on the gamethat would be intelligent. I remember many years ago when Tommy had planned to propose to Jeanie. We all, including Uncle Dave & Aunt Lisa went to Indy when the Packers were playing the Colts. We were sure there would be a double celebration since The Pack had won almost every game that season & the Colts hadn't won any.There was more Green in the stands than blue. . It was a shoo in...or so we thought. The Packers lost... but the marriage is still intact.

Karen Chandre said...

I thought it was a very good game. NOBODY picked the Saints to win and I really could not figure out why. They sure looked good against Arizona and the Vikings and all season long. Dan, I think maybe (?) some of the conservative play calling by the Colts was because of the Saints defense and what they have done all year long(??)
I am glad the Saints won - for the team and the city - amazing what that can do for the overall morale of that city. I am also glad that these 2 teams were in the Super Bowl. Both class acts. Sports needs some good guys and Brees and Manning are certainly 2 of the outstanding ones.