Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Big 60 never looked so good!


Very simply, and very enthusiastically, Happy Birthday Mom! You're finally 60 - I feel like I've been calling you 60 for the past 5 years. I really enjoy this blog and think we have a lot of fun keeping it light, and don't worry I will, but first I really just want to thank you for everything, let you know that I miss you like crazy and that I can't wait to see you again soon.

With all that gushy crap out of the way, I'm going to have to take a page from Chris's book (I never know if the name ends in an 's' do you put the apostrophe before the 's' or after the 's'?). So this is a calling to everyone who should happen to cross this blog, which seems like a strong 5-8 of us, to help us recollect some of our best, or worst, memories of Karen Chandre's first 60 years. I have no doubt there's a good 60 left in her, but let's recap the the first half.

Your memories should be stated in groups of 5. 5 interesting events, quirks, memories, moments - whatever may come, let us know. Now Mom, since we have yet to get this blog published by Penguin, I may be back to post every few hours...

1. American Pie, Don McLean. Mom, you listened to talk radio 98% of the time, but if you changed the channel on the radio it was because American Pie was on. This was typically associated with a trip to either the doctor or the dentist. Boooo on both accounts.

2. For a woman that so vehemently HATES any seafood, you eat more canned tuna then some small countries.

3. The roughly 9 month period between when Dad moved down to NC full time and I finished high school. I was rocking the blue cloud mini-van, which the chicks loved, and you were somehow putting up with me. That was a really fun period, thanks for not letting me drive you crazy.

4. Still, to this day, the only person I know that can actively and with full concentration watch something on television, read a book and listen to the greatest baseball announcer of all time, Bob Uecker, tell it like it is. All three without missing a beat to any of them. Listening to the 'Crew on that beat up transistor radio. I still prefer baseball on the radio because of that.

5. Drinking mint Juleps with me, Carloyn and Eric this past Derby Day (pic above). I don't think you were ever much of a Bourbon drinker, but you were putting them away with me that day for sure! That trip was great for a lot of reasons, but more than any other, I just wanted to kick it old school with my Mom - thanks Mom.

I pass the story stick on to all the rest to help us celebrate Karen's Birthday!

Dan

8 comments:

Carolyn Miller said...

Here goes:

1. Mom playing catch with us in the front yard. How many other moms were that cool?

2. Going back to school for her 2nd bachelor's degree when we were young. I am proud to say I was at both graduations, though the first one was in the womb.

3. Telling me that I was not an idiot when I got a D on my first college math exam (Calc 221). When I got home that first semester, Mom bought me a book on "How to Study". Graduation with distinction a few years later, after two major changes. :)

4. I credit Mom for my love of macaroni and cheese. We would have fish fillets, mac & cheese, and beets for dinner on Fridays, at least once a month. I still don't like beets.

5. A refrigerator/freezer that has 30 kinds of mustard and a pantry with more baking supplies than I've ever seen. The constant when we were home? Pizza rolls and chicken patties. Yea!

5.1 Loving sports and being a big fan of not only us, but our alma mater. On Wisconsin!

5.2 Echoes on Dan's multi-tasking comment; I still marvel at that today. Add in there that while doing all of this, she still knew we were sneaking snack cakes in the kitchen.

5.3. Being the coolest, most patient, and level-headed mom a kid could ever have, and for sticking by us when even we didn't have the foggiest notion what we were doing.

Thanks Mom! Happy 60th Birthday!!

Chris Chandre said...

1. The complete, although currently impossible, autonomy you granted us kids during the day. We were able to be explorers from an early age. Baseball, forts, Rogge brothers, toads. Essentially you granted us life. Thank you for this. Many of the parent circles I float into involve parents who feel the need to control their child's outcome in life. You taught us that the best part of life is the journey, and not some predestined plan.

2. Caffeine Free Diet Coke. Take a coke, and take away the taste. Okay, now take away it's caffeine effects. What do you have? A soda that adventurous 12year olds wouldn't touch.

3. Education, education, education. Whether it’s the love of reading (which we all hold), or the desire to consistently learn about the world around us, I trace it back to you. Your schooling while we were young, and pride in our educational accomplishments. I hope I can do half as good a job inspiring my kids.

4. The little, soft, unseen things. The calm demeanor when you arrived at basketball practice to tell us dad was in the ICU. The firm, quiet hand on discipline. The defender of the realm role you played.

I want to expand on the interplay with you and dad in our discipline. Being a disciplining parent now, I am living this out. I am dad and Susan is mom. The great part is I have the perspective of mom, and I see how genius you and dad were. You guys were a team, which you need to be. Good cop, bad cop. The whole 10 yards. Well done to both of you, and arguably the best thing I took from your parenting.

5. When I was 12 years old, I forgot your birthday. Everyone had gifts but me. I have never been more devastated. I scrambled upstairs and put one of my school pictures in a frame and gave it to you. I felt so ashamed. You treated the gift like it was the greatest gift you had ever received. It was a moment of love, as I came to understand that word. I learned at 12 (impressionable age), what is really important, and it has shaped my future.

So, 23 yrs later, just want to say "I love you Mom" and happy 60th birthday.

Carolyn Miller said...

Remember those lop-sided art pottery projects that we brought home that held pens and pencils proudly on the kitchen counter? It isn't about the big moments, it is about all the stuff in between too.

Karen Chandre said...

Wow guys - what wonderful things you have said. There are definite tears in my eyes as I read each post. As you go along the process of raising your family, you do what you think is the best for your children - often off the seat of your pants - not really knowing if it is the right or wrong thing to say/do - there are no blueprints for this! But I do know that we must have done something right cause we have the greatest kids on earth - seriously. I love you all and are very proud of all 3of you.
Having said all that, I feel COMPELLED to comment on a few of your observations:
- Daniel - that picture! We did have a good time though...
- I had forgotten the talk radio thing. You know, to this day, I rarely listen to music in the car. Not talk radio these days - books on tape.
- Ah - Bob Uecker. I miss him - really. I miss major league baseball close by - Sunday afternoons at Milwaukee County Stadium.
- Mac and cheese - love it! Now that Dad and I have gone "gourmet" we have tried many new and different receipes - nothing beats the original!
- Chris- sadly, you are right about the autonomy - can't do it in this day and age. But you can give them a wide variety of experiences and tools to aloow them to make good choices and make good decisions througout their lives.
- One thing I will admit to proudly and will remain so for the rest of my life - "Defender of the Realm" Have added a few more people to the Realm and will gladly Defend them as well!
- Dad and I were just talking again about the value of an education and how pleased we are that you all completed your degrees. You are all well spoken, successful, intelligent individuals and we couldn't be more proud.
Love you all.

Amy Jones said...

My Dear OLD friend, buddy and sister-in-law...I am not the talented writer your children are, but I have a few memories of you that I would like to share:
1. I knew you when you lived down the street from Lakeside Bakery and we ate the NEW creation POP-Tarts in your kitchen. We used the toaster because there was no such thing as a microwave.
2. I remember being in a van with you and Kaye Aldrich going the WR
ONG way on a one way street in downtown Milwaukee one night after work.
3. "Karen the popcorn girl" and listening to The Sound of Music and the Bible, over and over and over and over....
4. The Fishing is Fun Club, and going to the Yacht Club so you could see Johnny, and I could check out the other guys..I never could because they were all his friends and they wouldn' look at me. I think they feared him! Remember when I walked into the Mens room at the Yacht Club by accident? I thought you would pee you pants you laughed so hard
5.You are the only person I know that "dips" a bologna sandwich in coffee and puts peas in her tuna salad!

Have a wonderful 60th Karen..I love Ya!

Chris Chandre said...

Mom, remember I have Brewers season tickets(front row at that). Sunday ball games are a simple zip code change away.

Cheddar said...

Love the post Amy! The dipping of the bologna sandwich is a mystery still today!

Linda said...

1. Remember when Tom was away in the Air Force & I was broke because I made long distance calls to him...& had to eat "Mock lasagna" (noodles cooked in tomato juice. You fed me & kept me company in the lonely times.
2. Late night visits to LoDucas in Cudahy for Italian sausage sandwiches.
3. The time I came to visit & you greeted me at the door with a bag on your head ( outbreak of hives) & you didn't want the kids to get scared.
4.All the great times playing Jeopardy & drinking wine.
5.You're gracious hospitality when we come to visit. The trip to the fruitcake factory is unforgettable. (that memory is from Tom, too)
5. The letters you wrote to Annie when she was down were a kindness of the greatest magnitude.
5.You have one of the best laughs I've ever heard.

I know I added extra comments but & could go on & on. (I've kept to the number 5 to adhere to Chris's wish.)You are family & friend, and
I couldn't be happier or prouder to have you as such.
Love you, Karen.
Linda