Thursday, January 28, 2010

LPs (records) our parents subjected us to


So the first topic is to get the ball rolling.

Outside of the emascalating musicals that dominated the LP collection, there were some true treasures that shaped our music loving (or lack thereof) futures. Below is the beginning of the list, please add

Kenny Rogers : Gambler
Michael Jackson : Touch a boy, errr, I mean Thriller
Jim Croce : Time in a bottle
John Denver : Rocky Mountain High
Air Supply : The complete guide to suck
The Commodores : ??????? (Sadly, the music used to concieve us)
South Pacific : The soundrack to South Pacific
Billy Joel : Uptown Girl
Anne Murray (from America's hat, Canada) : Songs of crap
The Carpenters : Don't pass the potatoes

As an aside, many of these albums have a warm spot in my heart. I still religously stop what I am doing and sing along with the drunk pilot, John Denver. I will forever love Jim Croce. I always thought that if Jim Croce could score with girls, I would have no problem. I will sing "for the longest time" while I'm filling my depends in a nursing home someday. And most importantly, I can recite every word of "The Gambler" with effective coolness.

Despite the non-sensical collection of LPs from our youth, it comes as no surprise that you look past the musical talents of the artists and point instead to the memories that are wrapped around each song. If I ever miss my parents, which I do often, I am only one song away.

As an aside, way to go cousin Tommy for singing the swear word in the forgettable Wings song when we put on our production in the living room. Looking back as a parent, I am sure there was equal parts pride and Miller Lite in our parents at the time to maintain the unflinching smiles they wore.

Special Kudos to dad. Way to rock out the oversized headphones of the day. Glass of wine and baritone in hand, you rocked out in a white T-shirt that would have made Arthur Fonzarelli proud.

Please add your memories as I am sure there are a plenty.

7 comments:

Lucifuge said...

Ahh memories! Sadly, the dubious honor of singing the swear word is not mine, that was Jeff. But I can't believe you left out the Mills Brothers! The Mills Brothers are the music that remind me of those days more than anything else. Your dad singing, "Till Then" with glass of wine in hand. "Glow Worm" was a favorite with the kids.
I can remember the late nights when the folks would play board games and we'd invent our own, staying up until after midnight (!) Driving to Pewaukee always seemed like a long-distance journey in those days. Some of the best times of my life.

Chris Chandre said...

Quickly corrected, and rightly so. This was the reason for the blog. Memories become your own, and altered, if not corrected. Yes, the Mills Bros should be on there along with Sound of Music.

Karen Chandre said...

Dad and I have updated our LP collection but - surprise! - they are the same artists just in CD format that we can play in the car. Included are several CD's of John Denver (my personal favorite is Annie's Song) and even Air Supply (I'm All Out Of Love). Anne Murray - ah yes... And don't leave Uncle Tom out of the wine induced Mills Brothers duets. We all thought they were great - at least those of us who had as much wine as they did. I do have a picture of all you kids playing the instruments and singing in your band. You are right Tom-good times. I miss them.

Carolyn Miller said...

Chris--don't forget that we couldn't listen to music with words while we ate dinner. As a result, the Strauss waltzes are a part of my mp3 collection. People are still amazed at my lyrical knowledge of songs recorded before 1975--thanks Mom and Dad for the AM radio only 1988 Chevy Cavalier. All those you mentioned have a place on my player, right next to Single Ladies from Beyonce. Talk about getting some looks when I use the player in the office. When people look at me funny and ask why I would have "that song" on there, I smile and know the story is too long to tell and they really wouldn't get it anyway. :)

Cheddar said...

Good work Tom. When I saw the post, the very first thing I thought of was "Glow little glow worm, glimmer, glimmer". Something about the Mills Brothers takes me back more than anything else. As a matter of fact, I'm downloading now.

Cheddar said...

Oh, and yes, my blog name is BurgerMan. I care not to elaborate.

Karen Chandre said...

How could I forget Don Mclean's "American Pie" ????