Friday, January 29, 2010

Just checking the specs on the endline rotary girder....


Next thing you know there’s money missing off the dresser and your daughter’s knocked up….Chris Farley

I have found that the greatest things in my relationship with my children come in moments that were not scheduled to be moments. Birthday parties are rarely the first recollection when recalling your best memory from childhood. They are the days of building forts, baseball, catching toads and playing war. If I had to think back to the best memories of my current parenting, none would have been scheduled.

This morning my son was all excited to carry his handmade dinosaur cards. He had signed his name (AOT) on each card and cut them out so that they loosely resembled a deck of cards. He was so proud of his work. I asked him what he was going to do with them. He said he wanted to give them to his teacher’s baby, Mrs. Phelan (5 months pregnant). He wanted to make sure that the baby was happy and knew about dinosaurs. It was the moment I realized we have done alright, so far. I was proud of my kid, marveling at his age, and hoping I keep him on the current course.

How do you stay current on the "give and take" in the relationship with your kids? As he grows through adulthood, when do you relax your influence and allow him to become himself? Right now, I know I’m the center of his world (best part of the early years). This will change, and I know that, its just a matter of when. I want to make sure he never feels uncomfortable about that transition. There is no textbook to parenting, but there are moments like this one that let you know whether you’ve passed your freshman year, or not.

No comments: