Monday, March 22, 2010

Health Care

Okay folks, I want a real deal discussion here. Health Care bill. Thoughts?

I work in a hospital and this bill spells financial misery for many of us. Medicare rates and Medicaid rates dictate how we operate. I love the reduction in uninsured people that will happen, but we get $.18 on the dollar for Medicaid patients so I'm not sure its the trade off we are looking for. Many uninsured people pay their bills. Our write-offs on uninsured are around 26%. That means we still collect 74%. Smart people will take the gov't plan, and we end up getting 18% instead of 74%. We get less money, which is not viable for many hospitals (UW excluded). This closes regional hospitals and drives traffic to the big ones. Problem is we don't have space, and can't afford an influx of 18% patients. This strains resources at big hospitals and makes it impossible to get regular health care. Essentially we become Canada.

Now, with that said, I do believe in the essence of the bill. We have evolved as the human race and we should be able to take care of our own people. There are just so many problems with it.

I also know that the current system is broken, really broken, and will not be fixed without intervention. This is a very good step in that it gets us moving. Even if it fails, it will be refined over time. I have hope that it's the right step. Very little we have done as a country worked the first time.

I will give Obama a ton of credit for trying this. Others have never even attempted to look at the hard problems. It's tough being a republican that became a moderate with the Bush administration, and I am struggling to hold on to the moderate label. I can't reconcile the massive amount of money we have thrown at the war, and then bitch about the cost of the healthcare bill. It is literally scary to see the money we have spent on the war. Therefore, it is impossible not to see healthcare out. We need to see if this works, or can be changed to work.

4 comments:

Cheddar said...

Very personally conflicted about this. I agree that we should be able to provide a health care system that allows for affordable health care for all US citizens, but I'm not convinced that we've addressed the necessary problems to make that happen. If this is nothing more than government subsidization of a broken system, then that's not the answer. I'm outside of the industry, unlike you Chris, so I may not have as clear of a perspective. That being said, I've thought for a while that the primary problem exists in the general cost of health care itself, and the primary problem driving up that cost is malpractice insurance. The litigation threat faced by all doctors has made the cost of insurance absurd, and that is driving the cost of health care insurance through the roof. I wish we could address that problem and then focus on the real needs of the uninsured.

To Chris's point though, the system is broken as it exists now, so something had to be done. It was an easy topic to avoid since I've been alive, but I'm happy to see Obama stick to the platform that got him elected and actually try to propagate change.

Carolyn Miller said...

As a health plan administrator, I concur that this issue is difficult at best. It is an elephant in the room that continues to get bigger and bigger. The cost of health coverage for our employees is our second highest expense after salaries. We are constantly debating whether to absorb increases in claims costs or pass that cost onto employees through plan changes, etc. I hate that when I hear about an employee having a heart attack that my second thought after "Are they alright?" is "Good God how much is this going to cost the plan?"

Karen Chandre said...

I like it! At least I like the basic idea of the healthcare bill and kudos to Obama for not giving up on this. Is this perfect - by no means - but it is a start. My perspective working at a family practice clinic is different than yours Chris. The uninsured is a big problem for us. Many do not pay-for whatever reason and we do not have resources to collect it. The new bill is expensive - but I think we are all paying for the uninsured right now before this new bill was passed. What bothers me is this damn contentious Congress! I just wish they would work together for common good instead of polar camps who care more about the next election than doing the right thing. Ah - politics.....

Carolyn Miller said...

Wow, we really have some varied roles within one family!