Friday, March 26, 2010

Courthouse Burning


Some of you may already know this, but the historic Chatham County courthouse in Pittsboro, NC burned last night. By day, I am the human resources director for the county, and by night and other special occasions, I get to be the public information officer.

I battled disbelief as I watched the flames erupt from the clock tower and top floor. I was sick when I saw flames on the second floor, in the superior courtroom, one of the most beautiful in the state. I was in disaster mode, corralling the media and getting position statements from key players. Later, as firefighters were getting a better handle on the blaze, I could process a little. It really struck me when I saw water running out the front door and pouring down the steps like a waterfall.

I am writing about this because this was one of the reasons I started writing at all. This courthouse was part of the inspiration for my novel, Murder in the Old Courthouse. This is the old courthouse described almost exactly in my book.

Sad day for our county.

No comments: