Friday, February 19, 2010

Civic Duty



When I was 11 or 12 years old, Dad got called for jury duty in Waukesha County, WI. I am not even sure what time of year it was, but I knew I was out of school. I begged to go, and Dad let me on one condition. If I went, I had to take notes about what was going on. I sat for at least one whole day of the trial in the back of the courtroom and took notes. It was a drunk driving case on Moorland Road, I believe, not far off of Capitol Dr.

On Monday, I will answer my first call for jury duty. I am probably the only person on the list that is actually excited. First of all, work will not be able to reach me at all (lest I be held in contempt of court, and it's not worth it). Second, I am hoping to pick up some material for my second book. Court is a great place to watch people and pick up on human interactions.

If chosen, I will sit on a jury in superior criminal court. Three murder cases are on the docket and a wonderful smorgasbord of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to inflict serious injury, public assistance fraud, and felony breaking and entering. If I am not chosen, at least my calendar is clear for the week and I can take a couple of days off.

Don't worry Dad, I will be taking copious notes. :)

5 comments:

John Chandre said...

The trail was in summer, and the kid tried to convince the jury that the 10 beers he had that evening didn't effect his driving. He was riding a motorcycle and the cops chased him for 3 miles before he became aware that they were following.
Our verdict took 20 minutes to return, because that's how long it took for all of us to use the restroom!!!!

Cheddar said...

If you want interesting, try out jury duty in Brooklyn. It's terrifying. I've never lied in succession that many times in my life. Bold-faced, lied to the judge to get the hell out of there. And I'd do it again in a heart-beat.

Karen Chandre said...

Daniel! What if that judge reads our blog!

Chris Chandre said...

The key to getting out of jury duty is to say you are prejudice against all races - Homer Simpson.

Carolyn Miller said...

Well, jury duty was a bust. Called in today and they released us. Oh well.